Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nov 23 2007, Yudanaka Onsen (湯田中温泉)

I am now writing a blog post about my trip that happened more than one and half a year ago.. I know it's already late, but it's still better than never, so I decided to post it before it fades away from my memory.

IMG_2793
Me staring at monkeys

Randy, Junko and I went to Yudanaka Onsen (湯田中温泉) on November 23, 2007. Yudanaka Onsen is famous for monkey bath - there you can see monkeys taking bath in hot springs. So hot springs are not human-dominated resorts; monkeys also enjoy them. :) When I was young I always saw Japanese monkeys taking baths as if humans are taking baths, in TV, and this was something I really wanted to see in Japan. So, I went to Yudanaka onsen located near Nagano, with Randy and Junko.

IMG_2300IMG_2301

We went to Nagano by Shinkansen first, looked around the city a bit.
IMG_2320IMG_2328

Then we went to our first destination, Yudanaka Onsen, the monkey bath resort.

IMG_2756

There were tons of monkeys..

IMG_2658IMG_2728IMG_2686IMG_2663

Even more monkeys...
IMG_2582

...and they are making more monkeys...
IMG_2858
IMG_2857
Shit..! Don't take pictures..!

After monkey onsen, we went to an actual onsen, called Kusatsu onsen (草津温泉). Throughout the entire year of my stay in Japan, I've never seen any better onsen than this. If you want to experience the authentic outdoor Japanese onsen, this is the place to go.

IMG_3215IMG_3253IMG_3315IMG_3413

Then on the way, we stopped by a lava place to enjoy sightseeing.

IMG_3537IMG_3544

Then we came back to Tokyo.

IMG_3628
Night of Tokyo, from Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building (東京都庁舎).

It was a good trip, and I am very glad I finally wrote a blog post about this trip..!

3 comments:

Kohyunu said...

The baby monkey is SO CUTE! o_O!!

Hung Lun said...

This entry is inspiring. Now I want to follow your footstep before leaving Japan. ^^

Unknown said...

macaronni // indeed, they quite resemble our human society. :)

HungLun // Haha, follow my footstep in Korea too, as I followed your footstep in China. :)